Friday, June 17, 2011

Room Number

I remember when I was younger that my teachers would always say that they had eyes in the back of their head and could see everything you are doing while they are writing on the board. I always thought the same about my mom. She knows where I am and I always figured she just installs a GPS device on all of my electronics and knows where I am at any given moment. A good example and proof of that is here.
I recently got married and before leaving for my honeymoon, I warned my mom that she wouldn't be able to speak or text me for a while since I was traveling internationally. I told her that I would give her a call when I had a chance. She said she understood, but let's face it...she didn't and apparently had other plans in mind. It was the 2nd day of my honeymoon and I decided to buy a calling card and call my mom. She didn't pick up the phone so I left a quick message telling her we got there safely and the hotel was really nice and I would try to call her back in the next few days or so. After a couple days, I called my mom again and we chatted for a while. I wasn't sure how much longer I had on the card so I told her I would call her when we got back to the United States.

Me: "I'll give you a call when I land at the airport"
Mom: "I want to tell you about my new car. I'll call you there"
Me: "I don't even know the number here and I'm heading to the beach now anyway"
Mom: "I know it. You're in room 1345"

Please note - I never told my mom what the name of my hotel is. Not because I thought she would stalk me but between the wedding and everything else going on, I simply forgot.

Me: "How do you know my room number?"
Mom: "I called the hotel and they gave it to me"
Me: "They just gave you my room number? That's weird"
Mom: "Yeah, I called your room but you weren't there. When are you going to be there?"
Me: "That's so creepy! I don't know, I'm on my honeymoon. I'm going to the beach now"
Mom: "I'm no creep. Ok, maybe I'll call you later"

Had I known that I, like a celebrity, needed to make sure the hotel didn't give my room number away, I would have. I never spoke to my mom again while I was away but I still wonder how many times she did call my room hoping I would be there.

No comments:

Post a Comment